Friday, April 29, 2005

Friday night

I can't believe it's Friday night (rapidly approaching 9pm) and I'm sitting at home. LAME. I'm rarely at home on a Friday night. Argh. It's only because of this little thing called work, which keeps getting in the way. Granted, I love working from home, but when it hinders my social life, well, that's where I draw the line. So I cracked open a bottle of wine, and I'm taking a little break.

I don't have much to report - I'm still going to shave my head (the idea of a mohawk has been presented) if I can raise $2000 for the American Cancer Society. So far the news has been taken well, for the most part. Of course, I haven't told my mother yet... Looks like I'll probably tell her next week, when I return home for a visit. "Happy Mother's Day! I'm going to shave my head into a mohawk and dye it blue!" I'm guessing she won't exactly throw me a headshaving party. She might send a card, though. She's very proper that way. Oh well. Here I am, 33 years old, and still giving my poor mother heartburn. Good thing I have seven older brothers that prepped her for my craziness. By the time I came along, nothing ever seemed that bad. And if you really think about it, in the grand scheme of things, shaving your head for charity isn't that bad. So far, I've raised nearly $500 in a couple days. I think I should easily hit $2000.

Well, since I don't have tons to report, I will give you yet another "Three Things I've Learned Today" list. You know how I love my lists. It tweaks out my OCD. Here goes:

Three things I've Learned Today, The Triathlete Edition:

1. Even though triathlons are completed in the order of swim, bike, run; I just really hate to train in that order. Maybe it's because I don't like swimming, so I prefer to leave it to last, hoping that a tornado will destroy the gym during my biking and I won't actually have to swim. Maybe it's because I'm a Taylorist at heart, and swimming first means showering twice, which I find to be a complete waste of time.

2. Although I prefer to run alone, I almost always prefer to train with a friend. I've found it makes me work harder. Good thing my friend Matt is just as crazy as I am, and will meet me at the gym at any given time. (Although he's the purist who insists that we complete our training in the order of swim, bike, run).

3. IMPORTANT LESSON: If you're going to forget the code to your padlock, try to do it BEFORE showering at the gym. It's embarassing enough to ask the gym staff to cut the lock off your locker, but asking them while wearing only a towel... well, that just adds insult to injury.

Why me?

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

So glad I found your blog site. I too feel that I am "quirky" (just ask me the proper etiquitte on eating onion rings or hanging toilet paper!)

Anyway, I have a question(or 2). You say you prefer to run alone and I understand that...what about running next to someone on a treadmill at the gym. How does that compare? Don't have to keep the same pace or intensity, yet company is there.

Question 2...Sioux County or Pella...and will you be going back for the annual Tulip Festival?

10:38 PM  
Blogger Dawn - Pink Chick Tris said...

I have 3 brothers all shaved bald. One did it to raise money - he had gorgeous hair. But since his wife and all my sister-in-laws raved about how sexy he looked bald both my other brothers did the same. I thought it was funny they would do that but we have a competitive family. If one does something the other usually follows. I ran a marathon so my brother decided he had to as well and of course he beat my time but then most people finish under 8 hours.

Good luck with raising funds and post a pic all us bloggers wanna see the end result.

8:53 AM  
Blogger Mateo said...

J&D

1. I need to hear this etiquitte on how to eat onion rings...

2. Everyone knows that toilet paper needs to be hung over the top of the roll.

3. I don't typically like run with others or in a gym - see today's blog. Thanks for the topic idea.

4. Pella Tulip Time. I was born and raised in Pella, so I need to return for family (and to run the Klompen Classic 5k with my family).

5. I'm trying to figure out how to post more photos on this thing, but no luck. I've already spent 3 (rather frustrating) hours on it. Hopefully I will figure it out to post before/after pics of my new haircut.

6. I have seven older brothers... Imagine how the sibling rivalry is in OUR family! I have to keep running marathons until I beat my brother's time.

7. I vistited your site. Very proud of you for your running accomplishments. Keep up the great work!

6:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

www.flickr.com for publishing photo's to a blog....thats what I see all the others using...

9:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm a little slow catching up with my blogs this week, but I hate swimming first, too! Mutliple showers in one workout makes it really hard to cut down on time.

Oh, and who actually questioned that toilet paper should always be hung over the top of the roll? OF COURSE it hangs over the top of the roll! When someone accidentally places the roll so it goes under, I always do them the favor or rotating it for them. :)

3:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home