Thursday, April 28, 2005

Another Shaving Project - ACS

Well, I know how much y'all loved my shaving experiment, so I'm back with another... well... shaving "project". This time, I've combined it with my love of running. To give you some background, I must admit that I've been in a bit of a running rut lately. Well, I guess you could say I've been in somewhat of a "life rut" lately. Life's been pretty rough on me - emotionally, physically, and financially - so I've just been doing what it takes to get by.

I even lost my passion for running, which scares the holy bejammers out of me. Sure, I was still running, but I lost my focus. Some people run for a cardiovascular workout, some people run to lose weight, some people run just to show off their new running outfits. True (crazy) runners run because we love it. We run because we have to. It's just that simple. If I'm having a good day, I run. If I'm having a bad day, I run. If I'm having a mediocre day, I run. It's such a programmed part of me that I no longer think about it.

Well, sometimes you're so busy running that you lose sight of WHY you're running. You start running away from something, which is the worst reason to run. Luckily, I had a runner stop by this blogsite the other day (thanks, AB - you rock). I linked to her site, which linked to other runners blogs, and after hours of reading about other runner's passions and accomplishments... it was back. The fire was back. Thanks, running bloggers! I want to run again. I had no idea there was a whole running and blogging society out there. (This whole blogging is very new to me). So if you're reading this and want me to link you, just let me know. I welcome you into my e-home.

So enough touchy feely for one day. Here's the "Shaving Project". In a nutshell, I agreed to run the American Cancer Society's Relay for Life on June 17th. I've run it in the past, and it's just an amazing event. There is NOTHING cooler than when they light the luminarias at dusk and you're running by candlelight. Yes, running by candlelight. Amazing. Well, now that the running fire is back and burning bright, I really want to make a difference this year. A challenge has been brought forth, and for those of you who know me, you know that I'm a complete sucker for challenges. (That's how I ran my first marathon. My brother double dog dared me to run it with him!)

So the challenge/project is this. If I raise $2,000+ by June 17, 2005 for the American Cancer Society, I will shave my head. Bald. Bald, bald. Don't worry. I have plenty of hats. If you would like to make a tax deductible donation (even those of you who only know me electronically) just e-mail me for details at runner_in_iowa@yahoo.com.

It's also been brought to my attention that a counter attack has begun. It's the "Keep The Hair" campaign, started by some of my friends who claim they will be too embarrased to be seen in public with little ol' bald me. So I've agreed that every dollar towards the KTH campaign means I have to raise that much more for the SIO ("Shave It Off") campaign. I will keep you posted of each campaign's development. Together, we can knock the roof off this thing, and raise lots of cash for a great cause.

I just started both campaigns hours ago, and at the time of this posting, the results are:
Shave It Off: $300
Keep The Hair: $50

Oh, and Pope BXVI, if you're reading this blog, please bless my bald head. Thanks.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What if I want to vote for you getting a Mohawk? What does that cost me? Will you use conditioner to shave it off?

4:35 PM  
Blogger Mateo said...

Ooooh... a mohawk. Of course you'd want me to get one of those. Well, I suppose I could start a third category. If you donate enough money to the American Cancer Society, I'll let you shave my hair into a mohawk and dye it blue, baby! My mother would absolutely kill me. I love it!

5:23 PM  
Blogger admin said...

Bless you and your bald head. Keep your hair short.

8:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Isn't it wonderful how inspirational they are? I like to read them toward the end of the work day so I can get motivated to go run after work. I'm glad I could help!

Oh, and you had mentioned you do triathlons. Not only might I have to enlist your help for random advice, I've recently added a few triathlon-specific blogs to the list on my site. You should check them out (Oldman, Through the Wall & NancyToby).

And I like the mohawk idea, especially a BLUE mohawk!

1:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home