Saturday, April 09, 2005

Aloha!

Yes, I know. Long time, no blog. I've missed you too. By the way, I like what you've done with your hair. It looks nice.

So I'm back from the island of Maui (or as I prefer to call it - the island of Moolah, since it's so stinking expensive). To boot, we were staying in the city of Wailea, which is the most expensive area on Maui. They charged $5 for a bottle of Evian at the hotel. At one point, I think they were going to charge us fifty cents a minute for the air we were breathing, but luckily we were able to barter our way out of it. Who knew you could get all the fresh air you want in exchange for a goat? Anyway... the island was beautiful, the weather was beautiful, the wedding was beautiful, and the running was beautiful.

Well, of course the running was beautiful. Maui is great for running. I ran 6+ miles nearly every morning along the beach, and one day even competed in the Aluminum Man biathlon (1/2 mile swim and 4 mile run). The Aluminum Man is Hawaii's lesser known younger brother to Kona's Iron Man Triathlon. I was out for my morning run, and right after I passed the resort where Arnold Schwarzenegger was staying, I happened upon a man setting up the start/finish line for a race. By now, you're fairly familiar with my love of running and racing, so I don't need to tell you that I quickly asked the man how I could sign up. It turns out they were starting in about an hour and there wasn't even an entry fee.

A free race? In Hawaii? At this point, the thought of ANYTHING being free in Hawaii was heavenly, so I ran back to the hotel to get my friend Patrick. He's also a crazy runner like me who I thought would get a kick out of running it. Well, by the time I had run back to get Patrick and we got back to the race, I had racked up 9 miles of running, so the two of us opted out of the swim (I didn't have my Speedos with me anyway) and we just completed the four mile run. Regardless, we had a great time, met some really cool people, and walked away with some awesome door prizes. Who knew?

So I had a great time on vacation. I ran a lot, swam a lot, laughed a lot, and relaxed a lot. Oh yeah, I went to my first nude beach. It was surprisingly normal until one guy got out a hula hoop. No one should ever have to see that. Ever.

So enough about me. How have you been?

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Welcome back! Just a lurker here...but I missed you just the same!

8:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home