Friday, August 05, 2005

Oh good gravy!

I don't really have that much to report, but word on the street is that y'all are getting antsy for another blogposting. Well, here's the last few weeks of my life - the disco mix.

1. I got the new computer, and I'm loving every minute of it. It's like hopping on a Cannondale after years of riding a Huffy. This new computer (complete with flatscreen monitor) is the best. Fast, sleek, and far more than what I need. Granted, it was somewhat of an impulse buy. (Monkey Boy, if you're reading this, that comment was for you). Most people impulse buy a candy bar or a magazine... I impulse buy computers, bicycles, and kitchen appliances.

2. I officially quit smoking. I'm sure you're wondering how a person can run marathons, triathlons, and countless roadraces while smoking. Well, I didn't actually smoke WHILE I was running... just in between. Don't worry about it. I've quit. And surprisingly enough, I don't miss it.

3. I rode RAGBRAI - the [Des Moines] Register's Annual Great Bike Ride Across Iowa. For those of you who don't know, it's a week-long bike ride across the state, and it's awesome. Roughly 25,000 participate, and it's just insane. It's like Mardi Gras on bicycles. For the most part, we had an awesome time. Although...
a. We rode through some tough conditions, from 100 degree weather to torrential rains and tornado warnings. The beauty of Iowa is you can't predict the weather.
b. Our support vehicle (an old bus) broke down on the way out, so we rented a U-Haul to cart our gear across the state. Not the best conditions, but it got the job done.
c. We lost a teammate for 48 hours. When he finally showed up, he was wearing a shirt that said "Timmy" and he was holding a jar of homemade salsa. I didn't ask.
d. One of our teammates crashed and needed 8 stitches in his face.
e. One teammate sliced his foot open on a pedal and needed 12 stitches.
f. One friend got arrested for being a bad girl. Again, I didn't ask.
g. My bike currently has a flat on it. Oh well.
h. My favorite bike accessory fell off my bike and broke. It's a little plane on my handlebars with a propeller that spins when you're riding. I managed to salvage most of it and connect it to my helmet so that I could still use it. http://www.memorylane-classics.com/images/Bike%20Accessories/Air%20plane.JPG

4. I ran the BIX7 in Davenport - a rough 7 mile race. I did well, all things considered. I'm still trying to figure out how they crammed 25 miles of hills into a 7 mile course. Ouch. My quads still hate me.

5. It's been a rough week at work, trying to catch up after being out for a week. Good thing I love my job, eh?

6. If I can fix the flat tire on my bike yet tonight, I'm biking to the Farmer's market tomorrow morning to buy a schload of basil so I can make homemade pesto. MMMmmmm...

Sorry this is so blah, I had a big ol' meal tonight, and I'm totally in a food coma. Off to bed.

5 Comments:

Blogger Dawn - Pink Chick Tris said...

Heh, welcome back. Lucky you, I've wanted a flatscreen for sooooooooo long. Hubby has one but I still have an old 17" thing. But heh, it works.

Wow. Good job on the bike ride and on the hilly race. Hills are not my fav. I did a one mile downhill on wednesday...they forgot to tell us we would have to climb up it first...lol.

10:34 PM  
Blogger Jon (was) in Michigan said...

Welcome back! Now, I gotta know if "Timmy" and the "bad girl" incidents happened simultaneously.

10:50 AM  
Blogger Mateo said...

No, Jon... Although "Timmy" and the "Bad Girl" events happened around the same general time... they were unrelated. Although my friend was written about in the local paper. The used the adjective "belligerent" in describing her...

11:43 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hey I wanted you to know that I enjoy your blog quite a bit and you give David Sedaris a run for his money. you should seriously consider writing a book or at least a short story about your life.

Jay

2:11 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

jay totally stole that from me! we were just talking about you and how you should write a book mateo! have you read any david sedaris? if not, let me know and i will lend you a book or two- you will DIE laughing. you are one funny, funny man. love how random timmy and the salsa were- these are the hallmark moments of our lives!

2:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home