Tuesday, June 14, 2005

Miniblog

I know, I know... I don't blog enough to keep you people happy. Well, I'm alive. I've just been crazy busy lately. Work is insane, I'm trying to keep on top of my running/biking/swimming, and I've been trying to manifest something which resembles a social life. Speaking of my running, the good news - rather, GREAT news - is that I turned in the bulk of my pledges for the Relay for Life, and the current total is $2,290, with roughly $500 outstanding pledges. WOW. Wow, wow. I'm floored, amazed, touched, and... a little scared.

Yes, I said it. I'm scared. This really means that I have to go through with that little "if I raise $2000, I'll shave my head" thing. I know I promised I'd do it... Promises, schmomises. Do I really have to do it? What if I my head looks stupid bald? What if I look like one of those serial killers who always "kept to himself"? What if my dog freaks out and won't run with me anymore? Wait a minute... there's an idea! Can I shave my dog instead? It is summer after all, and he is a rather warm-blooded Alaskan Husky. Truth be told, he would probably welcome a summer crew cut.

Fine, I'll do it, and yes, I'll take pictures. The Relay is this Friday night, and I'm planning to run from 8pm to midnightish. I'll probably run a half marathon or so, depending on the weather. I usually try to log 13 miles every year. Admittedly, it's only a quarter mile track, so a person can get pretty dizzy after lapping it 52 times. Plus, I have a tendancy to lose count of my laps when I'm in the mid-30's. It's so cool to run at dusk when they light the luminarias though, which are lit for those we've lost to cancer. It's pretty moving when you stop to think about it. Plus, it's probably the only time in your life that you have the opportunity to run by candlelight.

So for those of you who have donated, thank you. For those of you who haven't, there's still time. For those of you who can't, I encourage you to get out and do something in your own community. You don't have to give money. Give of yourself. There are a lot of people out there who need you. Rather than sitting behind a computer reading my blog, you could be helping an elderly person find food, helping a child find a mentor, or helping a dog find a good home. Ask around, there are hundreds of organizations that can use you.

Well, I have to run. I probably won't have a chance to blog before the Relay, so I'll be back in a few days with "Bald Man Runnin" photos. Promise. No schmomise...

4 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

i sometimes wonder if we share a brain. . . you will definitely NOT look like a serial killer- you're too bubbly to be one! good luck!

11:16 AM  
Blogger Dawn - Pink Chick Tris said...

Can't wait to see the pics. :-)

6:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just think how nice and cool and aerodynamic you'll be with a bald head! It will be great!

Have fun at the relay. I'm looking forward to seeing the pictures!

6:51 AM  
Blogger Jon (was) in Michigan said...

Good luck, Mateo! Looking forward to the shaving pics. :D

1:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home