Monday, May 30, 2005

Althlete's Blog

T-Minus one week and counting for the triathlon. I'm hitting the bike pretty hard (which is where you make up the most time) but it's almost to a fault. I'm cramping up again. Bad. Really bad. I know, I know... I need to hydrate and eat bananas. Well, I already feel like I drink my bodyweight in water everyday and I still can't eat bananas after throwing them up while training for the Chicago Marathon last year. Argh. Any suggestions?

By the way, I'm officially in the Chicago Marathon again this year. I can't wait. I may not be the fastest runner in the world, but running Chicago makes even a fat man feel like a Kenyan. People are screaming your name the whole time. It's completely rockstar. I'm also trying to talk a friend into doing the Paris Marathon in 2007. (I lived in Paris about 10 years ago, so it would be a fun trip in addition to running the marathon).

Oh, and Loki is doing great. We went for our first "post-accident" run yesterday. I let him determine the pace/distance, and we went a very impressive 7 miles. It was a near-perfect run. One of those rare days when everything just flows perfectly. Loki was even wearing his favorite "Stars and Stripes" bandanna (in honor of Memorial Day), and a cute woman told him he had a "cute outfit". He totally bragged about it the rest of the day.

So to to celebrate the perfect run, I've written a hai-ku about it. Nothing says celebration like a little Japanese poetry.

Morning trail running
Cool rain, fresh air, dog in tow
Perfect nirvana.

Well, I'm off for yet another a bike ride. Hope to keep those cramps at bay...

3 Comments:

Blogger Jon (was) in Michigan said...

Good luck next week! I think you'll do fine. What are you drinking on these rides? Just water? You might try Gatorade or something while riding. Also, do you have a very low sodium diet already? Sometimes that can cause issues too.

Love that phrase: "totally rockstar". :)

7:51 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

take it from a poet who has never written haiku, but does know a little something about writing- that was a GREAT haiku! have you ever picked up the "gay haiku" book at b&n? seriously- it's in the humor section- HYSTERICAL!

8:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ooooh, the Paris Marathon. What a good excuse to go to France!

And I'm glad Loki is feeling so much better. And of course I'm sure you're feeling better because of it! :)

7:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home