Monday, May 09, 2005

Time Off

Hey gang, just wanted to let you know that the upcoming week might be a bit blog-light for me. My best friend, best running partner, and best pooch got out of the yard this morning and was hit by a car. Of course when I chased after him, he thought we were going for one of our daily runs, and started running towards the trail - right into the street. Watching your dog get hit by a car is an image that is hard to shake.

On the bright side, Loki is doing pretty well, so the vet sent him home already, thinking he will recover better in his own surroundings. So I'm taking some time off to spoil him rotten. He should be alright in a few weeks. He's cut up pretty badly and deeply on his face - it looks like he got into a gang fight. Don't worry, he's on a mountain of puppy pills right now, so he's sleeping soundly.

The other silver lining is that about seven strangers came running to help, and my phone has been ringing off the hook with concerned people - friends and strangers. One stranger even went to the animal hospital and anonymously paid the bill before I had the chance to. Talk about restoring your faith in humanity.

The irony of it all is that he was hit by a car while running about 100 yards from the exact spot where I was hit by a car while running two years ago...

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

OMG! Poor Loki! Jessie sends a comforting little paw tap and a gentle lick. Ollie, Izzy, Marty, and Shaneequah send a purr and a rub. Hugs and kisses from me and Troy; we're glad she'll be okay.

10:56 PM  
Blogger Dawn - Pink Chick Tris said...

So sorry about your dog. I would be just sick if something happened to my little guy.

11:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm glad he's home again and on the mend. Keep us posted!

7:04 AM  
Blogger Jon (was) in Michigan said...

Ouch! Sorry about your dog, Mateo. Hope he's better soon. There's alot of nice people in your neighborhood too.

8:22 AM  
Blogger Michelle said...

I am sorry to hear about Loki! That must have been terrible. Especially watching it all unfold. I hope you have a very restful weekend. We won't be reading for a while either..... we're off the Islands.... Turks and Caicos. We'll be resting - and I hope you will be too.

9:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Matt - I'm so sorry to hear about Loki, but glad you'll be spoiling him rotten now. How scary. Take care!

- J

11:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home