Saturday, November 05, 2005

[Insert Witty Title Here]

Sorry I've been away for a while. I've been super busy (still) trying to get everything in my life caught up since the marathon. It's crazy how many things a person can put aside while running 40 miles a week. For instance, my bills. I have the money, I just forgot to pay them. I can't tell you how many times in the last week that I've had the following conversation.
Me: "Uh, yeah, I have to apologize for my late payment for (insert type of bill here - Visa, Mastercard, Discover, electricity, phone, International tourism company of Burkina Faso). I promise that I'm sending it off today."

Phone representative: "Are you experiencing any financial problems, sir? We have plans that can help you or perhaps we can even waive your late fees."

Me: "Oh, I totally have the money... it's just that I... uh... Well, I ran the Chicago marathon, and sometimes I just space off my bills. But the marathon was awesome! I didn't beat Oprah, but I did beat an Elvis. Running a marathon is so cool. You should try it sometime. You feel like a total rockstar! It will change your life..."

Phone representative: "That's nice, sir. We don't exactly have a 'marathon running' rebate, so your bill is due in full, complete with late fees."

Me: "But I ran a MARATHON! That's 26.2 miles! That's got to be worth something! Clearly, I was a little busy training."

Phone representative: "I'm sorry, sir. There's nothing I can do. But congratulations on your marathon. That really is quite an accomplishment."

Me: "Would it help to know that I used to be a fat man, and I lost 110lbs?"

Phone representative: "Again... that's very impressive, but we don't have a weight loss discount either. Your bill is still due in full."

Me: "Oh fine - (insert exasperated sigh) - Thanks for your help."
So that's basically how I've spent the last two weeks of my life. Well, that... and putting up a new kitchen ceiling. Don't ask. My friends decided to yet again remodel a room in my house while I was at work one day. Well, this time they chose the kitchen, and (ahem!) accidentally put a few tiny holes in the ceiling. And when I say "tiny holes", I actually mean huge, fist-size holes. Don't worry, they weren't taking out their aggression on my ceiling by punching through it with their fists. They were actually trying to track the three live wires which were formerly just hanging loose out of my ceiling. See? I told you not to ask. Well, throw in an electrician, some drywall, texturing, priming, and painting... and I once again have a kitchen ceiling. I do miss the downhome country charm of having huge holes in my ceiling, but trust me, I don't miss having chunks of insulation fall into my bowl of Lucky Charms.

ORN (Obligatory Running Note, for all of you diehard runners out there who need a dose of Fat Man Running): I went to a running seminar today on proper running technique and common running problems. It was fantastic. Plus it was free, so my frugal side could justify the price of admittance.

I recommend attending these seminars to anyone who is a runner or interested in becoming a runner. I believe it's vital to learn as much as you can about anything which you hold important in your life. Especially if you're like me, and you log upwards of 1,000 miles a year, it's a good idea to take your body in for a tuneup to make sure everything is running like it should.

Well, they videotaped us running, and I was happy to see that I actually have quite a good running stride, even if it isn't a fast one. I must admit though, I was even happier to see all of the other runners there. I draw so much strength from other people, whether they be runners or not. (Believe it or not, I actually have friends who don't run. Don't worry, it's only a matter of time before my hypnosis will kick in and they'll start.)

Man, I'll tell you I heard so many wonderful compliments today. I had some good friends there who always boost my spirit when I'm around them. I even met some new friends who gave me a boost too. The whole seminar just made me really feel like a runner. More importantly, it made me feel like a part of something bigger. Like I was part of this big family. Not necessarily a running family, just a human family. I felt included, I felt healthy... and I felt darn good.

So here's to all of you, my friends. Those I've met and those I haven't met yet, thank you for keeping me going. Run on.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's cool - I've been wanting a video of my running. I've suspected that something is up but when I look down at my feet, they look like excellent and well-behaved. As soon as I look up, I know they're goofing off down there because I feel the heels kicking the opposite ankles.

11:39 AM  
Blogger Michelle said...

Ouagadougou awaits your attention.... Good to hear from you.

Hello from Texas -
We miss you :)

Michelle!

3:23 PM  
Blogger Dawn - Pink Chick Tris said...

I love this post. So much of my life gets sidelined when I get caught up in my running. I made a new system for laundry. Hubby didn't like it.

The system was instead of putting clothes away I just sorted them out on the bed in the spare room. His pile, my pile, another for socks and another for undies. Seemed logical to me. Heh, at least they were clean..lol.

*sigh* why can't people be more understanding of us runners...lol.

As for the clinics, I agree. I went to one earlier this year, no video but lots of cool stuff and tips, etc.

7:53 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

Happy Thanksmas Matteo....

7:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home