Thursday, October 13, 2005

Chicago 2005

The Chicago Marathon was awesome. As you can see from this photo, I brought my camera phone along again this year to take photos as I was running. This is my favorite one. If you behave, perhaps I'll show you some more. So here's my OCD list of the Chicago Marathon 2005, as presented by Fat Man Running. Keep in mind that some of these numbers are approximated, as running 26.2 miles starts to mess with your head.


PREMARATHON:
100 - Percent of the 4 hour trip to Chicago that I was freaking out.
4 - Number of times I asked if we could "turn around and go home".
2 - Number of times we had to stop our way to Chicago so I could pee.
2 - Number of times my friend's dog peed on my shoes. (It's tradition. He gets really excited to see me).
2 - Hours that we were late to meet our friend for dinner, thanks to insane marathon traffic.
138 - Number of minutes spent at the marathon expo.
9 - Number of times during and after the expo that I said, "Holy cats! I can't believe I just met John Bingham!" (He's one of my heros).
6 - Number of times I shook John Bingham's hand while exchanging stories.


MARATHON:
18,840 - Seconds it took me to run the marathon.
1 - Number of friends with whom I ran every second of the marathon.
1 - Running Elvis's we passed.
1 - Running Elvis's that passed us.
2 - Number of beads I collected during the marathon. (No, I didn't flash anything. I'm a good boy).
3 - Number of runners who offered to flash me for my beads.
1 - Number of complete strangers that told me I had "an amazing spirit that she could see from miles". (Julie, if you're reading this, thank you for getting me through mile 24. You're awesome.)
14 - Number of phone calls I got cheering me on.
2 - Number of text messages I got on my phone cheering me on. (Thanks, Anne!)
4 - Number of times I cried because running a marathon is an overwhelming experience.
0 - Number of times I cried because of the pain.

5 - Mini Snickers bars eaten while running.
1 - Bagels consumed while running. (I hate power gels).
1 - Bagels still left attached to my belt when crossing the finish line.
350 - Ounces of water and Gatorade consumed during the run. (Big cheers to all of the amazing volunteers who help at the water stations and elsewhere!)


1,500,000 - Approximate number of spectators.
5 - Times I yelled to those spectators, "Come on people! Cheer us on! We didn't wake up at five o'clock in the morning to run a marathon for nothing!"
25 - Times I told a spectator, "You're my favorite fan!" (Shhhh, don't tell the others).
10 - Times I saw my awesome friends who came to support me. (Monkey Boy, Tara, Smack, Amy, Sarah, Keegan... You all rock!)
1 - Times I randomly saw a person from my highschool class.
5 - Cute old ladies banging on pots and pans with wooden spoons cheering us on.
37 - Spectators that couldn't figure out my name and cheered, "Go MATE!"
12 - Number of those spectators that figured out my shirt said "Mateo" after I had passed them, and then cheered "Oh, I mean, GO MATEO!"
1 - Spectators that said, "Hey Mateo, this dance is just for you!"


POST-MARATHON:
20 - Ounces of Sangria consumed in celebration.
150 - Ounces of water consumed since the marathon.
0 - Ounces of Gatorade consumed since the marathon.
1 - Lou Malnatti's small specialty pizzas consumed.
1 - Number of times I called my mother right after finishing.
2 - Number of times my mother told me how I sound "drunk" when my runner's high kicks in.
3 - Days of vacation to recover.
10 - Number of times I've already told people I'm running the Chicago Marathon next year, even though I swore I was taking a year off in 2006.
1 - Number of lives changed forever. Mine.


NOW, FOR THE BEST OF:

Best Quote overheard while running: "I know honey, I'm so proud of you for kicking that goal, but mommy's a little busy running a marathon right now. I'll call you back just as soon as I cross the finish line."

Best Cheer: A song in Spanish a woman sung to me - something about "Corre, Mateo, corre" (Run, Mateo, run).

Best Water Station: Mile 8. Hands down. Everyone is dressed up in costumes like the Village People and just having a great time.

Best Organized Group Spectators: the group giving away "Free High Fives" at Mile 23.

Best Sign: "Run like you stole something!"

Best Costume: Man running in cow costume, with a friend running behind him wearing a farmer's overalls.

Best T-Shirt: "ALWAYS PICKED LAST IN GYM"

6 Comments:

Blogger Kristiana said...

I am impressed you were able to cry. I ran the Portland marathon the same day and choked back sobs about ten times between miles 20 and 25 but I didnt have enough extra oomph to squeeze one out. Congratulations on your run!!

2:37 AM  
Blogger Jon (was) in Michigan said...

Great report, Mateo! Sounds like you had a fabulous party...er...race! Good grief, it sounds like a crazy party doesn't it? A million and half people watching 40,000 other people run like maniacs for 26.2 miles with bands and Elvis's and cheering and Gatorade. What a rockin' time!

Glad you had a great race, Mateo. Rest up and stretch a bit. Hope the soreness has died down by now.

6:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mateo - you are so f*ing awesome! I can't even tell you how impressed I am with you - I'm going back to that thrift store to let that lady know that you most certainly did NOT die during the race!

Gros bisous!

(and pictures have now been sent...)

7:04 AM  
Blogger Nancy Toby said...

Wonderful post! Way to go!!!! I love that "picked last" tshirt, too. :-)

Congratulations!!

9:17 AM  
Blogger Dawn - Pink Chick Tris said...

Love how you wrote this. I'm happy for you, heck I think I feel a tear of joy on my cheek. Well done!

2:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great job, Marathon Man Mateo!!. Your pictures are great. I recognize in your description of the Chicago trip the dog who peed on your shoe as being my grandpuppy-certainly, you must agree that you have never been peed on by a cuter puppy!?!

7:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home